Friday 20 July 2012

12 tips for starting to learn how to crochet that I made up and you don't have to follow if you don't want.

1. If you can already knit, that doesn't mean you will be able to crochet the first time you pick up a hook.

Some people take to it easily, some not so much. I don't really think it matters whether or not you have experience knitting. I, surprisingly took to both quite easily. Maybe it's just natural, maybe it's just because I became quite determined. I admit that the first time I knitted, about two years ago, part of the drive was because my friends were doing it and I didn't want to feel left out. Crochet was more self driven. I didn't know anyone who could do it. I just saw someone with a granny square scarf in winter and made it my new years resolution to learn that year. By by then, I had already known the feeling of 'I did that', so that was a huge help. In everything else apart from knitting and crochet, I get VERY frustrated if I can't do something first time. I'm not the most patient person. But with this, I was.

2. Be patient.

Rome wasn't built in a day. Nor will your new blanket. Or cushion. Or stuffed toy.

3. Use your imagination.

If being patient doesn't work, think of what you COULD achieve, only if you DON'T GIVE UP.


4. Don't give up.

Just don't.

5. Use lots of different books, websites, minds.

Get as much info as possible, from as many places as possible. Nothing beats human interaction when learning how to do stuff, so your next door neighbour could become your new best friend. But if your crocheting into the night and can't get it right firstly, go to sleep! And secondly, don't keep knocking on their door in the middle of the night or you might lose your mentor. Failing that, look at YouTube videos. They never worked for me, but they do for lots of other people!

6. Put it down. Have a cup of tea. Try again. Repeat.

Same goes for if you're tired. You're not going to get far if you're tired and annoyed. Sometimes, you can try something ten times and still not get it. Next time you pick it up to have a go something just clicks and you'll be left wondering why you didn't see the before and you'll be saying 'yes! I'm a genius!'

7. Experience is your new best friend.

I don't claim to be an expert, but I have been at this game for over a year and I learn new things with every project I do. I hear people who I consider to be experts say the same thing all the time.

8. Try again.

9. Enjoy it.

It's supposed to be fun. So if you're getting angry and frustrated, and even if you don't feel like it... Do what I do when I'm angry (and alone), make yourself laugh. The sciency people say it realeses the same hormones as when you really laugh so it might calm you down.

10. Make friends online.

Blogs, Instagram, Tumblr, Flickr

11. Follow the rules.

You'll be glad you did.

12. Break the rules.

Someone very clever told me the other day that there is not crochet police. That's why it's s great. You can do WHATEVER you want to do. Take control.

No comments:

Post a Comment